Friday 26 February 2010

Families

Ever thought about how we never grow up in the presence our family? Put me in the same room as my brother and sister and I become a twelve year old masquerading as an adult. We use the same jokes, rip plasters off the same wounds and ultimately argue over who was the more favoured. Family ties root us to the same spot, forever young, forever living in the past-present. 

Everyone grows up damaged in some way or other, adult life is about masking that as best you can. But when family members are around, especially in groups of three or more the years fall away and all the dents, chips, and sores are revealed. I read somewhere recently that we never truly grow up till we lose a parent, I think that must be true. As long as they are alive we can act like their children, its what we are programmed to do. I think the hardest lessons in life are those we learn as adults, our brains less programmed to change, resist on every level, our hearts tender from old wounds take longer to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment